Tuesday, August 19, 2014

FUN WITH CORKS!!

CRAFTY THINGS YOU CAN DO WITH CORKS!

Over the years I have collected many, many wine corks, both from drinking and from friends and family. I put them in glass jars, etc. until I could figure out clever ways to use them.
Here are a few ideas I came up with to try to use wine corks...you've already seen my cork letters in a previous blog but I've been trying to use up my corks for awhile!!

WINE CORK KEYCHAINS



I have made and sold many of these and the possibilities are endless!! You can personalize the keychain with any type of charm. I've even made seasonal keychains with Christmas charms (those I sold very quickly)! The butterfly keychain was a sort of experiment. I used brass fittings to match the gold tone butterfly and painted a plain cork with gold craft paint...but I mostly like to use the silver tone charms because they are more readily available and less expensive!

CORK PLANT MARKERS using Sharpie marker

Another use for wine corks, plant markers! I have many plants in pots on my patio and have trouble keeping track of what they are! So, I wrote on a cork with a Sharpie, stuck two toothpicks on the underside of the cork and voila, instant markers! So far the weather has not affected the writing on my markers, likely thanks to the durability of the Sharpie ink!

WINE CORK TRIVET with Biltmore wine corks

Since I love going to the Biltmore in Asheville, North Carolina we have collected many corks from their famous wines! So, I made a large trivet using only Biltmore wine corks! This trivet was made from a "kit" I purchased, but you could make one of your own. I tried using picture frames, but they are not the right size if you want to keep the corks intact and refrain from having to cut them. 
As you can see, apparently the possibilities are endless! Be creative and have fun with corks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment