Wednesday, April 10, 2013

BOTTLE CAP CRAFTS

BOTTLE CAP EARRINGS


BOTTLE CAP MAGNETS


One year, when I was on vacation, I was at a local arts and crafts fair, and I saw a clever idea. An artist was selling earrings made from pop bottle caps, like Nehi Orange, Grape, etc. When I returned home I decided to expand on the idea. It's hard to find soft drinks in bottles anymore, but beer bottles are easy! I started out making earrings from my favorite beer bottle caps like Blue Moon, Bud Lite, Michelob, etc. They were very popular with many of my co-workers and I gave them away as gifts.
Then I saw the possibility of making earrings with different logos such as my favorite college team, the University of Louisville Cardinals. I was able to find a variety of stickers and logos to glue on to the bottle caps, as well as painting my own.  I then expanded to magnets, which was so much easier! I painted the bottle caps with regular acrylic craft paint, attached a sticker or painted on a logo, then applied a coat or two of clear varnish or polyurethane.
I found small round magnets at Michaels. I cut a round piece of foam to put inside the bottle cap, glued it and then the magnet. I wanted the magnet to sit out a bit from the back, so the edges of the bottle cap wouldn't scratch your fridge or wherever you placed your magnet. You don't even really have to glue the magnets on, since they already stick to the metal bottle cap!! Easy and fun!!
The possibilities are endless, you can make pendants for necklaces  or hook them together to make cool bracelets! Love to hear any other ideas you crafters come up with for using bottle caps!!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment